TeeChart ActiveX 8.0.0.8 teechart8.cab teechart8.ocx

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
ksa

TeeChart ActiveX 8.0.0.8 teechart8.cab teechart8.ocx

Post by ksa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm

We upgraded to TeeChart ActiveX 8.0.0.8 last night on one of our websites and everything seems to be working as expected, except when we want to use the ActiveX option the user machines are prompting the user to install "Teechart8.cab" from "Steema Software SL", which is what we expected; however, when we go to install it we are prompted with a confirmation window asking if we want to "Install" or Don't Install". We choose "Install" and then get this prompt:

The file 'teechart8.ocx' on (Unknown) is needed.

And it has a file/browser path that allows you to browser for the location of the file, and it defaults to some TMP file, for example:

C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\ICD1.tmp

This behavior is happening in IE8 for Windows XP (32-bit) users and Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) users, so I don't think it is a browser issue, operating system issue, or security issue.

When we upgraded to v8 we simply installed TeeChart8ActiveX.exe (without the IIS samples). After the install we deployed our new website files, restarted IIS and everything has appeared to be working as expected except for this CAB/OCX failing to be able to install for each client.

If I install TeeChart8ActiveX.exe on an actual client machine, then the browser prompt for "Teechart8.cab" from "Steema Software SL" works fine, since I already have a local copy of the CAB/OCX on that client machine. But for all of our other machines, we wouldn't expect to have to do that.

Any ideas? Maybe I am missing a file somewhere or don't have something configured quite right?

FYI, the server was NOT restarted during the upgrade process. But I was under the impression it didn't need to be.

Thanks!
Last edited by ksa on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksa

Re: TeeChart ActiveX 8.0.0.8 teechart8.cab teechart8.ocx

Post by ksa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:03 pm

More information, in case it helps...

1) The teechart8.cab file is in the folder of our website where we are using the control.

2) I have uploaded the teechart8cab.htm file and teechart8.cab file to the website and it also prompts for the CAB installation (as expected) but then fails on "The file 'teechart8.ocx' on (Unknown) is needed."

3) I have verified that there is a TeeChart8.ocx file in the C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart Pro v8 ActiveX Control\ on the server. Does that OCX need registered? Does that OCX get registered automatically during the installation? Does it require a reboot to fully register?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's related to our application or code, but more with the TeeChart8 installation/components, etc.

I think our next step, pending feedback from you, is rebooting the server after hours to see if that helps.

Let us know if you have other suggestions for us to try in the mean time.

Thanks!

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi ksa,

Could you please tell us if it worked in a different way with an older version (8.0.0.7 or older)?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

ksa

Post by ksa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm

We previously were using v6 and just purchased an upgrade to 8.0.0.8 and installed it last night.

With v6 whenever a machine didn't have the ActiveX control installed that it needed it would prompt them to install it, and it would install it successfully.

What we are seeing now in v8, is that it prompts us to isntall the ActiveX control, but then it prompts us to locate a missing TeeChart8.ocx file.

So I'm wondering if the TeeChart8.ocx file wasn't successfully registered or what?

I see in the INSTALL.log file that it tried to "Self-Register" the TeeChart8.ocx file but it didn't really indicate any success or failure. Just looks to be informational.

ksa

Post by ksa » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:52 am

Restarting the server has not helped any.

I've also tried manually registering TeeChart8.ocx on the server to see if maybe that had something to do it with.

Am I wrong to think that when the browser prompts the user to install the TeeChart8.cab file by Steema Software SL that it should install it automatically without asking the client to specify the path to an OCX file that they wouldn't have readily available to them on their machine? The CAB files are in the right place as far as I can tell, otherwise I don't see how the prompt to install it would initialize. Yet when you say "Install" to the TeeChart8.cab file we always get the same follow up prompt.

The file 'teechart8.ocx' on (Unknown) is needed.

The TeeChart8.cab file contains all the required dependencies to install on the client seamlessly, right?

If I look at the TeeChart8.cab file that it's trying to use it contains 3 files:

- TeeChart8.ocx
- TeeChart8.inf
- TeeUserx8.hlp

Could the fact that the INF file is referring to 8,0,0,7 and the actual TeeChart8.ocx file version is 8.0.0.8 be potentially problematic?

TeeChart8.inf file looks like:

Code: Select all

; INF file for TeeChart8.ocx
[version] 
; version signature (same for both NT and Win95) do not remove
signature="$CHICAGO$"
AdvancedINF=2.0  

[Add.Code]
teechart8.ocx=teechart8.ocx
TeeUserx8.hlp=TeeUserx8.hlp

; needed hlpfile
[TeeUserx8.hlp]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
DestDir=11
RegisterServer=yes

[teechart8.ocx]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
clsid={BDEB0088-66F9-4A55-ABD2-0BF8DEEC1196} 
FileVersion=8,0,0,7 
RegisterServer=yes  
; end of INF file
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by ksa on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ksa

Post by ksa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm

FYI, The CAB file we had didn't contain the correct TeeChart8.ocx file in it. We've replaced our CAB file with an updated CAB file and have things in working order now.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi ksa,

Thanks for the info. We are glad to see that you've found the problem. So, if we understood well, the cab you were using wasn't from the 8.0.0.8, isn't it?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

ksa

Post by ksa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:23 pm

That appears to be the case. The best I can tell is that when I installed the "Eval" version for our testing, then installed the "Full" version later, the CAB files weren't updated for some reason. So I removed both the "Eval" and "Full" versions and then reinstalled the "Full" version again and the CAB files were now the updated ones with the correct OCX file in them. So everything is now working for us as expected. Thanks for the reply.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 am

Hi ksa,

Ok, if you encounter any other problem, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software