TeeChart not painting

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
ATS

TeeChart not painting

Post by ATS » Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm maintaining an application that uses the TeeChart .NET v1 control. This app was originally developed in VS2003 but has since been updated to VS2005. I believe I have the latest TeeChart .NET v1 update build installed.

The problem is that the control isn't painting until I do something that forces it to repaint -- such as flipping between tabs or MDI child forms (it's hosted on a tab on an MDI child form).

What I mean by "not painting" is that interactive UI elements don't work properly. For example, the checkboxes in the legend. Clicking them does indeed flip the check state, but the checkbox isn't repainted to show the updated check state until I flip tabs. Cursors exhibit similar behaviour: they work, but they don't paint until I flip tabs.

Any ideas?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 am

Hello,
I'm maintaining an application that uses the TeeChart .NET v1 control. This app was originally developed in VS2003 but has since been updated to VS2005. I believe I have the latest TeeChart .NET v1 update build installed.
Can you please confirm that at the version info page: http://www.steema.com/support/versions.html?
The problem is that the control isn't painting until I do something that forces it to repaint -- such as flipping between tabs or MDI child forms (it's hosted on a tab on an MDI child form).

What I mean by "not painting" is that interactive UI elements don't work properly. For example, the checkboxes in the legend. Clicking them does indeed flip the check state, but the checkbox isn't repainted to show the updated check state until I flip tabs. Cursors exhibit similar behaviour: they work, but they don't paint until I flip tabs.
Can you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" so that we can reproduce the issue here?

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

ATS

Update build installation

Post by ATS » Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,

You're right, it's not the latest. The "About" dialog shows version 1.1.2004.16592.

But I've installed the Update Build...

I looked in C:\Program Files\Steema Software and I see two folders:

TeeChart for .NET v1 -- contains version 1.1.2004.16592

TeeChart for .NET v1 Update Build -- contains version 1.1.2531.28391

Why doesn't the update build installation overwrite the "old" version with the updated version?

What's the easiest way to fix my VB2005 project so that it uses the update build instead of the old version?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon May 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi .net,
Why doesn't the update build installation overwrite the "old" version with the updated version?
Because it's an update build and not a full maintenance release.
What's the easiest way to fix my VB2005 project so that it uses the update build instead of the old version?
Go to your project references section, remove current TeeChart.dll reference and add the new one there.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

ATS

Update build doesn't help

Post by ATS » Mon May 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Okay, I copied the DLL and XML files plus Release.txt from the Update Build folder into the main TeeChart installation folder. Now when I build my project, I get the latest version. So that's one step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the problem. I'll try to build a test project for you.

ATS

Fixed

Post by ATS » Mon May 25, 2009 1:39 pm

Well, this is strange.

I first tried using a "#if 0" to block out all of the code on the form, to try to isolate what part of my code was bothering the TeeChart control. This left me with no ability to create a series at runtime, so I opened the designer and added a series there.

The chart control then started working. I deleted the series and removed the "#if 0" to restore things to their previous state... and it STILL works.

What happened? Well, the form's resx file shrunk from 207KB to 144KB. So there must have been something wrong with it. I've no idea what, because resx files are somewhat hard to compare: Visual Studio seems to write their contents in a random order.

The vb source file is unchanged, though.

Well, this doesn't entirely make me happy, because I can't explain what was broken or how it got that way -- but at least it's working now. Thanks for your help.